Sunday, September 25, 2011

Halloween Advent Calendar

I'd love to make a Halloween countdown calendar.  I don't know if I need an elaborate self version stuffed with treats like this one by restlessrisa, but it would be a great way to build anticipation for the long-awaited day.  So until I make one of my own, here are some other Halloween advent calendars for inspiration.

(c) Futuregirl_LeahRiley, via Flickr
I think this spooky house calendar by Futuregirl_LeahRiley is my favorite.  Inspired by this advent tutorial on Crafster, it uses a foam slab to create little cubbies to hide surprises in.

Not only are there lots of great prints going on, but the wonderful silhouetted windows at the top remind me of the animation from A Series of Unfortunate Events.  I think this calendar is cute without being too kistchy - or too goofy-looking, which is my complaint about a lot of of Halloween merchandise.  There's an eerie vintage feel here that I really like, and I'd love to come home to see it on my windowsill every evening.

Sadly, I think this pattern is a bit too involved for me.  I'm crafty, but not exceptionally handy, and I think a 3-D version with so much cutting of holes and laying out of paper would probably be my undoing. 

From Woman's Day
On the other hand, this handsome riff on the Halloween tree from Woman's Day would be much simpler to make.

All I'd need for this one would be a shapely tree branch, black spray paint, and moderate sewing skills (which I have!).

I like the idea of hanging the treats in these little sachets (one could even embroider them with the days of the month), and I think advent element adds a nice sense of purpose to something I've always considered a kind of silly Halloween decoration.  In my opinion, the absurdity of the Halloween tree is surpassed only by the truly ridiculous Easter tree.  I mean, at least dead trees are part of the iconography of Halloween, but nobody will convince me that hanging eggs from a tree makes any sense at all.  [Via Ucreate]

Via Rhinestone Armadillo
Even simpler still is this cabinet-style countdown calender.  The one at left, which includes the Halloween tree pictured, is available from Christmas Traditions - nothing simpler than buying it new, after all.  But it would be fun to create one's own version, using a little set of drawers, or a jewelry box of some kind.  Imagine repurposing a full-size library card catalog to this task!  [Via Rhinestone Armadillo, including several more calendars at the link]

These have given me some good ideas, but I don't think I'm quite ready to decide on any one style.  I'll keep thinking and report back if I ever some up with something good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment