Sunday, September 4, 2011

Martha Stewart Halloween 2011

I never thought I'd say it, but Martha Stewart is wonderful!  I resisted the Martha phenomenon for so long because I don't buy into the cookie-cutter brand of creativity that is dominates craft and housekeeping magazines.

But the Martha Stewart Halloween special issue, with those ridiculous moth wing eyelashes, enticed me in, and I was not disappointed!  The 2011 Halloween issue is marvellous, full of imaginative DIY decorations and costumes, and tasty-looking food.  The art design is very inventive.

Sure, it promotes a senseless model of consumption just for the sake of decoration, and gives us all unreasonable expectations about how polished our lives should be.  But used correctly, it can be a great source of inspiration.  And it's so pretty!

And best of all, Saint Martha has lots of Halloween projects online, including: indoor decorations, costume ideas and activities (both billed as for children, although I beg to differ), pumpkin carving suggestions, and recipes. I'm sure I'll be featuring more of these in the future, and maybe even testing some, but we have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment